Thursday, January 8, 2009

Public Restrooms

Along time ago, (since....I don't know when), I have HATED going to the bathroom in public places. Think about it....you are in a very public place, and we, as women, have to practically get halfway undressed to relieve ourselves in a 3x5 stall, with Half inch gaps on each side of the door, with an open top and open bottom. PLUS, you have to SMELL everyone's business. GROSS! 

Let me first tell you a little story before I speak of etiquette. 

The other night Ben, Jackson and I were in a public place, and being pregnant I get to use public restrooms A LOT (Dang it). So I hurry to the Bathroom and was very pleased that it was empty and that there were 10 stalls on each side of the wall. I thought to myself, "Good I won't have to hear anyone use the restroom, surely, of all the stalls in here, they wouldn't use the one RIGHT next to me...right?" So I chose a stall second to the last on the left hand side (next to the Handicapped) and seriously, before I could even squat, somebody rushes into the stall next to me on my right side. I thought "What the hell, there are 19 other stalls in here and you choose the one next to me?" And she must have had to go really bad because before I could curse her anymore she was totally blowing the place up, and of course, on que, I start gagging, LOUDLY

And while all this is happening, a very non-handicapped person goes into the handicap stall on the other side of me. COME ON! Are you serious! there are 18 other stalls in this joint. 

Needless to say, I finished quickly and managed not to throw up. Phew!  (it was a close one)

Yes, it was a nice evening out. 

My etiquette advice.........
DON'T USE A TOILET RIGHT NEXT TO SOMEBODY THAT WAS THERE FIRST! 
Use the stall that is very furthest away. 
I know it's not always possible, but people PLEASE, for the love of all pregnant women, do your BEST!

You know, it's not etiquette,  it is common sense and just plain polite, and why wouldn't someone want the privacy? Especially diarrhea lady? 


3 comments:

Jade and Dot Nielson said...

oh, sorry...I didn't know that was you in there. I just had to go SOOOO bad and rush into the first one i could stumble to...next time i'll be a little more choosy. Really, though, I'm sorry...I don't know what else to say...

Heather said...

Oh, that was you? I feel bad for poor Jade! and your kids!, what do they think of mommy being such a loud bathroom goer?

Becca said...

very funny. I found a very funny explanation on someone else's blog about what a trial it is for women to use public restrooms. I'll see if I can find it again. You'd appreciate it.