Thursday, April 21, 2011

Happy Birthday Grandpa!

 Today is my Grandpa's birthday.
Here are a few tidbits about Joseph Patrick Mee.

*He and my grandma met when they were VERY young. (I think middle school) and have been together ever since.



*He is a retired undercover narcotics detective. He has the most incredible stories. You know like the ones that you see on T.V. (yeah, sometimes they really are a little more "reality" then you think)

*He has built and owned his own custom cabinet shop for more then 30 years.

*He ALWAYS knows an interesting fact or tidbit on just about anything worth discussing.

*He does EVERYTHING to the best of his ability.

*He is a true example of honesty.

*He loves my grandma more then life itself. And it shows in EVERYTHING he does for her.


*He is VERY fair in all his dealings.

*He is a convert to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

*He is an avid biker. (not motorcycle, biker as in Bicycle)

*He loves his family unconditionally.

Photo is from his and my grandma's 50th wedding anniversary.
L to R Son: Jeff, Son: Greg, Himself, Wife: Winnie and Daughter: Wendy

*He loves his grandchildren

*He loves his great grandchildren even more.

*He is always willing to help and to teach someone something new. He taught Jackson to shoot a BB gun and we learned that Jax is a dead eye.

*He always treated the girl granddaughters just like the boys, letting us earn our "Totem Ship Awards" for using a pocket knife correctly and safely, just like the boy scouts.

*He would set up the tent in the living room when we were little so we could camp out and not be scared.

*He always has the latest and greatest in gadgets. i.e. gaming systems, cell phones, cool things for bikes, four wheelers. (even if he needs a little help from the grand kids on how to use them)

*He likes to play paintball.

*He has a special gift of Discernment. He knows if and when someone is telling the truth. He can sense when someone is struggling internally and will offer whatever help he can. When I was not living as righteously as I could, I remember him calling me into the office at the shop and him just telling me that he knew I was struggling with something and that he wanted to make sure that I knew that he loved me. And that my grandma loved me. And that my parents loved me more then anything in the world. And that my Heavenly Father loved me. And to ALWAYS remember that. It made me cry the rest of the day, it totally struck a cord. Not much later Ben and I found out that we were going to have Jackson. And we got married and started working towards the temple :)

*He loves to see my grandma smile.  

This is a photo from their wedding.

*He's always got a sparkle in his eye.

*He works too hard.

*He plays nearly as hard when he can take a break.

*He is SUPER safe. Always making sure that we all have and wear helmets when we ride bikes, roller skate, go four wheeling.

*He always is promoting good health and wants all of us to be and stay healthy. He has offered and purchased many workout tapes, diet plans and exercise equipment for himself and/or members of the family.

*He will always call when its your birthday, and sometimes just even to say hello.

*He is a fantastic example of trusting in the Lord, of perseverance, and enduring to the end.

I really could go on forever of all the wonderful things my grandpa is and does. Not only for his family but for others as well.

Happy Birthday Grandpa. I love you.




3 comments:

Becca said...

Hi Heather! what a nice tribute to your grandpa. i'm just checking in on you to see if you've had those cute babies yet. i hope all is well. i'm anxious to hear!

Heather said...

No babies yet! I feel like I'm gonna pop ANYDAY though. and the doc said he wouldn't stop my labor if I started. WAHOO!

Becca said...

okay...so you had to have had them by now. :) hope you are all doing well!!